- Can MLS head gaskets be used with motors setup with o-rings or receiver grooves around the cylinder bores?
- What surface finish is required to us an MLS head gasket?
- What head bolt/stud torque do you recommend when using an MLS gasket?
- Why does Cometic recommend MLS gaskets to be installed dry?
- Can I order head gaskets with a different thickness and/or bore size than you have in your catalog?
- Does Cometic offer more than just head gaskets?
Q: Can MLS head gaskets be used with motors setup with o-rings or receiver grooves around the cylinder bores?
黑鹰网赚No. MLS head gaskets require smooth, flat and true head and deck surfaces to seal. Most of the time with o-ring setups the wire and groove fall where our gasket’s combustion seal is located; therefore, the wire will hold the gasket and not allow proper compression while the receiver grooves allow combustion gases to escape.
黑鹰网赚A surface finish of 50 RA (roughness average) or finer, is recommended for a proper gasket seal. Anything rougher may conflict with the gasket design.
黑鹰网赚When using MLS head gaskets always refer to the manufacturer of the fastener to determine accurate torque values. Appropriate torque is critical when installing new gaskets of any kind.
Cometic Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) head gaskets go on dry because they are coated with a sealant. Each MLS head gasket is coated with a .001" thick Viton rubber that is bonded to the outer stainless steel layers. Adding an additional sealer can hinder the performance of an MLS head gasket.
Q: Can I order head gaskets with a different thickness and/or bore size than you have in your catalog?
Yes. Call Cometic with the engine type or Cometic standard part number (search online or in our catalog) along with the bore size and thickness you would prefer and we will create your custom gasket. (800-752-9850 or 440-354-0777)
黑鹰网赚Absolutely! Cometic has the capabilities to make every gasket and seal needed to overhaul nearly any type of engine. We offer Rubber Molded Valve Cover Gaskets, intake, exhaust, timing cover, oil pan, rear main seals, valve stem seals, carburetor gaskets, and much more!